Call for Proposals: University Libraries and the Provost Office Seeks Faculty to Author Open Textbooks.
Open access textbooks present the opportunity to revolutionize how knowledge is disseminated. By making teaching materials freely available online, readers worldwide can engage with them, regardless of their ability to pay.
We invite UNCG faculty members to submit textbook proposals for any discipline taught at UNCG at the undergraduate or postgraduate level (a UNCG faculty member must be the sole or lead author). We seek proposals for texts that are comprehensive works geared toward a specific field of study. Preference will be given to proposals with applicability towards multiple, high-enrollment courses taught by faculty in a single department.
Faculty are invited to apply through a competitive grant process that will award $5000 to two faculty who submit successful proposals outlining efforts to create an open textbook. The funds will be given in two payments $2500 at the beginning of the project and $2500 when completed. The winners will be given three years to finalize their textbook. The chosen faculty will be provided help with design, editorial and production services through the University Libraries’ participation in the Open Textbook Network Publishing Cooperative. For more information please contact Beth Bernhardt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please visit https://tinyurl.com/text
bookpropsal2018 and submit a description of your project and include the following information:
1. Your name, job title, department; please include complete contact information. Include brief bios for coauthors if applicable.
2. A statement of support from your Department Chair, Assistant/Associate Dean or Dean.
3. Describe your intended audience, and any courses that would be likely to use the book at UNCG or other schools.
4. Provide manuscript specifics, such as a table of contents, chapter-by-chapter description, and the manuscript’s estimated length.
5. How often do you anticipate revisions/updates will be required?
6. Briefly discuss how you will address peer-review for your manuscript and please suggest 2–3 possible peer-reviewers (2 reviewers must not be affiliated with UNCG), including contact information, affiliation, etc.
Applications must be submitted by May 8th, 2018.
Applicants notified by May 11, 2018.Textbook available July 2021.